Final Round Preview – Web.com Tour – Web.com Tour Championship –TPC Sawgrass Valley Course –Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida –
The pressure is high Sunday at TPC Sawgrass as 50 PGA Tour Playing Cards are on the line heading into the final 18 holes at the Web.com Tour Championship.
Heading into the final round at Ponte Vedra Beach, Derek Fathauer (14-under) leads 36-hole leader Zac Blair by a shot and Jason Gore by a pair.
Fathauer continues to put himself in position to win during the four-tournament Web.com Tour Final series. But, he keeps racking up the near-miss victory. Last week at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship, he held a 36-hole advantage until a third-round 76 set him back.
He has Top 10s in two of the last three Finals’ events and has already locked up his PGA Tour card for next week, but a victory this week would cap off a great 2014 and move him up in the priority list for earning playing opportunities on the PGA Tour.
Fathauer shot 67 Saturday in round three to overtake Blair at the top. The duo tee off at 12:40 p.m. local time. Playing in the pairing just ahead of the final group, Gore, 40, has already lock up a PGA Tour card for the first time since 2009.
Canada’s Adam Hadwin (8-under) headlines a group at T-4. He could post a low number and force the final groups to birdie down the stretch to win.
Other Golf News:
- M.J. Hur and Paula Reto (15-under) share the lead – four shots ahead of Rolex Ranking No. 1 Stacy Lewis – at the Yokohama Tire LPGA Classic in Alabama. Hur, who challenged to win in France last week, shot 67 Saturday to tie Reto at the top.
- Fred Funk and Paul Goydos (15-under) co-lead the Pacific Links Hawaii Championship in Hawaii on the Champions Tour. Look for a Sunday Shoot Out. Corey Pavin 61 in round two, while Tom Pernice Jr. carded a 60 in round one.
- The Symetra Tour Championship wraps up Sunday with 10 LPGA Tour cards awarded to the Top 10 in the year-long standings. Canada’s Maude-Aimee Leblanc (11-under to start the final round) is tied for the lead at the moment at 9-under with American Rachel Rohanna after a slow start.
- Reto, an LPGA Tour rookie from South Africa via the Symetra Tour, missed just four fairways and four greens through two rounds, but showed some inexperience Saturday. She is 316th in the Rolex Ranking.
- The Golf Channel’s popular reality golf show – The Big Break – returns with a new season in October in Myrtle Beach. The show will feature six male and six female players.
- Joost Luiten (13-under at the moment) leads five players by a shot at the European Tour’s ISPS Handa Wales Open with just a few holes to play.