Second Round Update — PGA Tour — OHL Classic at Mayakoba — El Camaleon Golf Club — Playa del Carmen, Mexico —
Michael Putnam fired a 7-under score in round two at the PGA Tour’s OHL Classic at Mayakoba to take the overall lead by a stroke mid-way through the second round.
Putnam, 31, was bogey free on his round of 64 to reach 12-under overall. Several players have yet to tee off in round-two action at El Camaleon Golf Club in Playa del Carmen, Mexico.
A 125-to-1 long shot to win this title according to Skybet.com, Putnam had just one Top 10 in 2014 logging a 4th-place effort at the RBC Canadian Open in late July. He entered this week at 195th in the Official World Golf Ranking.
Jason Bohn, a 41-year-old tour veteran, is tied for second at 11-under alongside Shawn Stephani at the moment.
Bohn has logged 36 holes without a bogey this week shooting 66-65. The journeyman has been trending heading into Mayakoba, where he finished T-3 last season. Bohn was T-2 last week at the Sanderson Farms Championship behind Nick Taylor. The 41-year-old was a 33-1 betting pick heading into this tournament.
Champions Tour regular Fred Funk, a former champion at the Mayakoa, is in the Top 10 after rounds of 69-65.
Low scores are out there as tour veteran Ken Duke shot 8-under-63 in round two to reach 10-under overall.
Other Golf news:
- Ian Poulter (13-under) was leading the European Tour’s Turkish Airlines Open mid-way through round two when play was suspended due to weather issues. Poulter was 5-under through 14 holes to take the overall lead. He leads Brendon de Jonge by three shots. Overnight leader Miguel Angel Jimenez, who shot 63 in round one, was struggled at 1-over through 14 when play stopped. He is now five back overall.
- Christina Kim (7-under-65) leads the LPGA Tour’s Lorena Ochoa Invitational in Mexico after 18 holes. Kim is a shot ahead of Azahara Munoz and three up on Lydia Ko. Inbee Park, Lexi Thompson and Morgan Pressel all shot 70 in the opening round. Stacy Lewis (76) and Michelle Wie (73) struggled out of the gate.
- Jason Dufner (6-under) trails Jyoti Randhawa by five shots after 36 holes at the Asian Tour’s Chiangmai Classic. Dufner is T-5 after rounds of 69-69. Randhawa, 42, has not won on tour since 2009. Former Masters champ Charl Schwartzel is T-63 after shooting 77-68.
- Poulter, who was T-6 last week in China at the WGC-HSBC Champions, was a 25-1 pick at skybet.com heading into the Turkish Airlines Open. Poulter recently signed with Titleist to plays its clubs.
- Bubba Watson, two-time Masters champion and winner of the WGC-HSBC Champions last week, is a shot back of Hiroyuki Fujita (8-under) through two rounds at the Japan Tour’s Taiheiyo Masters. Fujita was a 20-1 betting pick this week, while Bubba was the favorite at 4-1 odds.