First Round Update – European Tour – ISPS Handa Wales Open –Celtic Manor Resort – Newport, Wales –
Belgium’s Nicholas Colsaerts opened with a 5-under-66 at Celtic Manor Resort and leads the European Tour’s ISPS Handa Wales Open mid-way through round one action.
Colsaerts scattered two bogeys and carded an eagle-3 at the par-5 18th hole. The 31-year-old is trying to recapture the form that had him playing in international team competitions just a few years ago.
Robert Rock headlines a group at 4-under-67, while Tommy Fleetwood and Shane Lowry logged 3-under rounds and sit T-5 at the moment.
Thongchai Jaidee is 2-over through seven holes as part of the afternoon wave in Newport, Wales. Thomas Bjorn (1-over through seven) and Stephen Gallacher (3-over through seven) are trying to sharpen their games before next week’s Ryder Cup. Both are members of the European Tour along with Lee Westwood, who struggled to shoot 2-over-73.
Paul Casey, who won the KLM Open last week, opened with 71 in Wales, while defending champion Gregory Bourdy shot 74.
Other Golf News:
- The Web.com Tour Championship tees off Thursday for a 72-hole showdown with 50 PGA Tour Cards up for grabs. Playing status for next year is on the line. This week features the best of the Web.com Tour and PGA Tour players, who finished between No. 126-200 on the money list.
- Fresh off the Evian Championship in France last weekend, some of the top players in women’s golf return to action at the Yokohama Tire LPGA Classic in Alabama. Stacy Lewis, who has three wins and 14 Top 10s this year, headlines the field.
- The Champions Tour visits Hawaii for the Pacific Links Hawaii Championship this week. Mark Wiebe edged Corey Pavin in a playoff last season for the win.
- World No. 2 Adam Scott and his caddy Stevie Williams have parted ways. Williams had been hinting at retirement for a while now.
- The Royal & Ancient votes this week to determine whether to allow female members.