Third Round – European Tour – Alfred Dunhill Links Championship – Multiple Courses – Scotland –
American Peter Uihlein – a European Tour member – leads the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship through 54 holes at 20-under after following up his second-round 60 with a round three 7-under-65.
Uihlein, 100th in the Official World Golf Ranking, is two shots ahead of a half dozen players including former PGA Champion Martin Kaymer, Hall of Famer Ernie Els and Joost Luiten, who has two European Tour victories in 2013 including the KLM Open two weeks ago.
Uilhlein was a 40-to-1 selection at Ladbrokes.com heading into the week, while Kaymer – who shot 63 Saturday at St. Andrews – was a co-favorite at 20-2. Luiten was 25-1 alongside Els.
Els, 22nd in the world rankings, looks rested after being eliminated two weeks ago in the FedEx Cup Playoffs. He is 9th in the Race To Dubai standings heading into the Scotland.
Other Golf News:
- American Chesson Hadley (9-under overall) leads the Web.com Tour Championship heading into the third round. The 25-year-old is two strokes clear of journeyman Joe Durant, the 49-year-old with four career PGA Tour wins. Andrew Svoboda, who won second Web.com Tour Finals playoff event, is T-3, while Jhonattan Vegas is T-5 at 5-under.
- Bernhard Langer (9-under) was four shots better than the field Friday in round one of the Champions Tour’s Nature Valley First Tee Open. Langer ripped Del Monte Golf Course with a 63. He plays Pebble Beach Golf Links Saturday leading four others at 5-under including Andrew Magee and Tom Lehman.
- The U.S. team hosts the International squad at the Presidents Cup next week Oct. 3-6 at Muirfield Village Golf Club near Columbus, Ohio. The U.S. leads the overall series 7-1-1 capturing the 2011 edition at Royal Melbourne in Australia 19-15.
- Ricky Barnes and Chris DiMarco failed to the make the weekend cut at the Web.com Tour Championship – the final event of the four-tournament playoff. Steve Marino, Sean O’Hair and Bud Cauley all earned weekend tee times at the finale.
- The PGA Tour 2013-2014 wrap-around season begins in two weeks at the Frys.com Open Oct. 10-13. Former the Fall Series, the six-events between the Frys.com Open and Thanksgiving all earn FedEx Cup points and invitations to the 2014 Masters in Augusta.