Sergio Garcia’s playoff victory at the European Tour’s CommercialBank Qatar Masters moved the Spaniard to No. 9 in the latest Official World Golf Ranking.
Garcia, who also won in late 2013 in Thailand, increased his chances of being one of the favorites at Augusta National for the Masters Tournament in April. His final-round 65 moved to 16-under overall and earned a spot in the playoff. Garcia outlasted Mikko Ilonen on the third playoff hole for his 11th career European Tour title.
Garcia knocked the idle Steve Stricker out of the Top 10. The rest of the Top 6 remained unchanged with Tiger Woods on top followed by Adam Scott, Henrik Stenson, Phil Mickelson and Justin Rose.
On the PGA Tour, nearly a dozen players shared the lead during Sunday’s final round of the Farmers Insurance Open before Scott Stallings made birdie on the 72nd hole to claim his third career PGA Tour victory.
Stallings, a whopping 250-to-1 long shot to start the week at Skybet.com, finished 4-under-68 at Torrey Pines South Course to end up 9-under overall. He moved to 53rd in the latest rankings with the win.
A host of players finished T-2 including K.J. Choi, Jason Day, Marc Leishman, Pat Perez and Graham DeLaet.
Other Golf News:
- Jessica Korda (19-under) outlasted Stacy Lewis by a shot to win the Pure Silk Bahamas LPGA Classic. Both players shot 66 in the final round. Paula Creamer, NY Choi and Lizette Salas finished T-3. Korda was a 66-1 pick to start the week.
- Stallings finished last season 54th on the PGA Tour Money List making just 13 of 27 cuts.
- The PGA Tour visits Phoenix this week for the Waste Management Phoenix Open at TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course. Mickelson is the defending champion, but remains a question mark to play. He withdrew from the Farmers after Friday’s round with a back issue.
- Rory McIlroy is one of the headliners at the European Tour’s Omega Dubai Desert Classic.
- DeLaet recorded nine Top 10s on the PGA Tour last season.