Third Round – European Tour – CommercialBank Qatar Masters – Doha Golf Club – Doha, Qatar –
Steve Webster and Rafael Cabrera-Bello share the 54-hole lead at the European Tour’s CommercialBank Qatar Masters at 12-under overall.
Both players have two career European Tour titles – with Bello’s last win at the 2012 Omega Dubai Desert Classic, while Webster’s last triumph was back in 2007.
A number of contenders are in the mix including three players at 11-under including Thorbjorn Olesen and Thomas Aiken. Olesen, 69th in the Official World Golf Rankings, carded his third straight round in the 60s Friday in round three.
George Coetzee is T-6 with a group of players at 10-under and within striking distance with 18 holes play at Doha Golf Club. At T-11 and just four back is 11th-ranked Sergio Garcia and Branden Grace.
Garcia has a string to Top 4 finishes heading into this week.
Not everyone is playing well in Qatar. The top-ranked player in the field – No. 3 Henrik Stenson – is T-44 at 3-under. Also at 3-under is Martin Kaymer, and Thongchai Jaidee.
American John Daly, who was in the Top 10 after a 67-69 start, slipped back with a 77 in round three. He wasn’t alone as 13th-ranked Jason Dufner carded a 78.
Cabrera-Bello was a 33-to-1 pick at Skybet.com to win this tournament, while Webster was listed at 200-1. Look for Garcia and Olensen to make a move in the final round.
Other Golf News:
- Stewart Cink’s 64 is tops at the PGA Tour’s Farmers Insurance Open after 18 holes. Tiger Woods, the defending champion, is eight back heading into Friday.
- Veteran players Thomas Bjorn and Miguel Angel Jimenez missed the cut this week at the CommercialBank Qatar Masters.
- Lydia Ko and Meena Lee are co-leaders at the LPGA Tour’s Pure Silk Bahamas Classic after opening with 68s. Stacy Lewis is just two back.
- World Golf Hall of Fame player Vijay Singh signed with Hopkins Golf to plays its wedges. The deal also includes the Hopkins Golf logo for Singh’s hat and golf bag.
- The PGA Tour visits the Scottsdale, Arizona desert for the Waste Management Phoenix Open next week at TPC Scottsdale. Phil Mickelson, who flirted with a 59 last year, is the defending champion. The Golf Channel has the television coverage all week with NBC Sports handling the prime time weekend times.
- Ernie Els, who opened 67-76 at the Qatar Masters, signed with Adams Golf in the off-season. Els had been with Callaway Golf for a few years.
- Adam Scott was named the 2013 Male Player of the Year by the Golf Writers Association of America. Scott edged Tiger Woods (five wins) thanks to a Masters title, FedEx Cup Playoff victory and two last-season wins in Australia at the Australian PGA Championship and the Australian Masters.