Emiliano Grillo’s playoff victory at the Frys.com Open launched the PGA Tour’s FedEx Cup 2015-2016 season in style.
The 23-year-old from Argentina was making his first official PGA Tour start after graduating from the Web.com Tour. He won the Web.com Tour Championship just a few weeks ago.
Grillo opened the final round in Napa two back of the lead. With several players making a run and falling short, Grillo and Kevin Na found themselves (at 15-under) in a playoff. Grillo, who missed a shot birdie on the first playoff hole, closed out the victory with a birdie the second go-around.
The field included Justin Rose and Rory McIlroy. Rory ended up T-26, while Rose was in contention for much of the final round before settling for T-6 alongside Charl Schwartzel.
The triumph moved him up 36 places to No. 36 in the latest Official World Golf Ranking. It marked Na’s seventh runner-up finish on the PGA Tour.
The tour heads to Las Vegas for this weeks Shriners Hospitals for Children Open. Rickie Fowler is making his season debut.
Other Golf News:
- Although both players were idle, Jason Day and Jordan Spieth flipped spots again in the rankings. Day returns to the top spot.
- Matt Kuchar won the Fiji International on the PGA Tour Austrasia by four shots. The win moved him to 13th in the rankings.
- Bernhard Langer captured the San Antonio Championship. It marked his 25th Champions Tour title. He is third on the all-time list four behind Lee Trevino. Hale Irwin won 45 times.
- Andy Sullivan’s third European Tour of the season — he won the Portugal Masters by nine shots — moved him up in the world rankings to No. 47.
- Lexi Thompson rose one spot to No. 4 in the Rolex Rankings with her comeback victory at the LPGA KEB HanaBank Championship.