With his victory at the Wells Fargo Championship, J.B. Holmes jumped 174 places in the Official World Golf Rankings to No. 68.
Holmes, who locked up his third career PGA Tour title by edging Jim Furyk by a shot Sunday at Quail Hollow Golf Club, earned a spot in this week’s THE PLAYERS Championship with the win.
The Top 10 in the men’s rankings remained mostly unchanged led by Tiger Woods, Adam Scott, Henrik Stenson, Bubba Watson and Matt Kuchar. Phil Mickelson, T-11 at Quail Hollow, switched places with Sergio Garcia into the 8th-ranked slot.
Furyk’s 26th career runner-up effort moved him up eight notches to 14th in the latest rankings heading into THE PLAYERS.
Felipe Aguilar’s first European Tour win since 2008 moved him to 130th in the rankings. He won The Championship — formerly the Ballantine’s Championship — Sunday with a final-round 62 to win by a stroke over Anders Hansen. For Hansen, it marked his 11th career runner-up on the European Tour.
Stacy Lewis edged ahead of Lydia Ko into the No. 2 slot in the Rolex Rankings with her six-shot victory at the North Texas LPGA Shootout. It was Lewis’ 9th career LPGA Tour title. She was the overall betting favorite heading into the tournament at 5 1/2-to-1 odds at www.Skybet.com.
Other Golf news:
- Suzann Pettersen, who was T-6 in Texas, is ranked fourth in the Rolex Rankings and has a run of 361 consecutive weeks in the Top 10.
- Rory McIlroy finished T-8 at Quail Hollow and has Top 10s in four of his last five worldwide starts including a T-9 at Augusta National for The Masters.
- Inbee Park is still atop the Rolex Rankings at No. 1 and has been for 56 straight weeks.
- Holmes was a 66-1 pick before the start of the tournament in Charlotte.
- Michelle Wie ended up third in Texas behind Lewis and Meena Lee. For Wie, it was her fourth straight tournament finishing inside the Top 9 including a victory at the LPGA LOTTE Championship in Hawaii last month.