Weekend Update – PGA Tour – Crowne Plaza Invitational – Colonial Country Club – Fort Worth, Texas –
With weather becoming an issue at the day goes on near Fort Worth, Texas, the PGA Tour moved up tees times Saturday for the third round of the Crowne Plaza Invitational.
The players will go off in threesomes on the first and 10th tees. The final group features 36-hole leader Kevin Na, Ian Poulter and Boo Weekley – all past PGA Tour champions.
At 10-under through two rounds, Na, who won in 2011 in Las Vegas, took a two-shot lead into the weekend at Colonial Country Club. He came into the week at No. 23 in the Official World Golf Ranking and as a 25-to-1 betting pick at www.ladbrokes.com to win this title.
Na is still 10-under early on in round three play now tied with George McNeill — also a former winner in Vegas. McNeill is 4-under on his round making a run up the leader board. Poulter is now 9-under and alone in third place just a shot up on Kevin Kisner, who nearly won THE PLAYERS just a few weeks ago.
Weekley is falling back on Moving Day. He is T-9 at the moment.
Look for Na to take it interesting at the top. He has been contending all season including Top 20s in his last six stroke-play events. A runner-up at the CIMB Classic last fall, Na logged T-12 at the Masters and Top 10s at THE PLAYERS, at Bay Hill and at the WGC-Cadillac Championship in Florida. He also has five Top 25s at Colonial.
For Poulter, his 65-67 start has him in position to win his 14th career worldwide title. Poulter failed to close out a great opportunity in the Florida Swing at the Honda Classic when he had the lead in the fourth round.
Poulter entered this week 31st in the world rankings and as a 40-1 betting selection. He also has a trend of carding 12 of his last 14 rounds shooting par or better.
Other Golf news:
- Rory McIlroy, the World No. 1 player, finally ran out of gas missing the cut at the European Tour’s flagship event – the BMW PGA Championship. He was defending champion, but a second round 78 sent him home without a weekend tee time.
- Francesco Molinari (14-under through 16 holes with two par-5s to play) continues to lead the BMW PGA Championship in round three action. He is two clear of Byeong-Hun An at the moment with Tommy Fleetwood and Thongchai Jaidee in the mix heading into Sunday.
- Tom Lehman (4-under) leads the 76th Senior PGA Championship in Indiana heading into the weekend. Lehman shot 5-under Friday to move into the lead. He leads defending champion Colin Montgomerie by a shot. Bernhard Langer, the favorite coming into the week, is T-9 at 1-over through 36 holes.
- Ryan Palmer, a local Texas native, missed the cut at Crowne Plaza. He was T-5 at Colonial in 2012 and 2014.
- Miguel Angel Jimenez made an ace at the second hole — this third of the season and second in as many weeks. Jimenez’s ace put him into the all-time lead on the European Tour with 10 career holes-in-one.