Final Round — PGA Tour — Barbasol Championship — Robert Trent Jones Jr. Golf Trails — Auburn, Alabama —
Scott Piercy cruised to a final round 6-under-65 bogeying on the 17th hole to win the inaugural Barbasol Championship by three shots.
It marked Piercy’s third career PGA Tour triumph. The Las Vegas native finished 19-under overall and three clear of Will Wilcox. Ricky Barnes finished T-3, while Boo Weekley and Aaron Baddeley and Johnson Wagner among others logged Top 10s.
Piercy, who missed a portion of last season with elbow surgery, opened the week as a 25-to-1 betting selection at www.ladbrokes.com to win the title.
The tour moves to Canada next week for the RBC Canadian Open. Glen Abbey Golf Club in Ontario hosts the event. Tim Clark is the defending champion.
Other Golf News:
- Players are gearing up for the final round of the 144th Open Championship at the Old Course at St. Andrews. The final round was pushed to Monday for just the second time in tournament history. Louis Oosthuizen, Jason Day and amateur Paul Dunne are tied at 12-under overall.
- The winner of the last six major championships has had at least a share of the 54-hole lead.
- Bubba Watson missed the cut at the Open Championship. The two-time Masters champion has never recorded a Top 10 at the Open.
- Chella Choi, who was in the mix Saturday last week at the U.S. Women’s Open, bounced back for a come-from-behind victory at the Marathon Classic in Ohio. She shot 5-under in the final round to force a playoff and edged Na Ha Jang for the win as a 66-1 long shot betting selection.
- Tiger Woods, a two-time Open champion at the Old Course, failed to play into the weekend and has gone two dozen worldwide events without a victory. He will slip outside the Top 250 in the next Official World Golf Rankings.