Preview – World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship – Trump National Doral – Miami, Florida –
Trump National Doral hosts the World Golf Championships (WGC) Cadillac Championship this week in Miami with an all-star field invited to compete.
The limited and elite field includes just 62 golfers including most of the Top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking. A strong international influence makes up the field this week with a mix of PGA Tour and European Tour stars teeing it up.
Recent champs at this event include Justin Rose, Nick Watney, Phil Mickelson and Ernie Els. A buzz surrounds the second leg of the Florida Swing as players gear up for the Masters in April.
The feature group is the Top 3 in the Official World Golf Ranking – Jordan Spieth, Jason Day and Rory McIlroy.
- Dustin Johnson (9-under) claimed the title outlasting J.B. Holmes by a shot and Bubba Watson by two strokes. DJ was a 20-to-1 betting pick and ranked 16th heading into the event. It was Holmes, who shot 62 in the opening round but blew a five-shot lead in the final round.
Golf Channel has television coverage in the opening two rounds and early coverage on the weekend with NBC Sports handling network coverage for the final two rounds.
FANTASY: Dustin Johnson plays well here so take the long hitter as the long hitters are always a threat to win here. Take Holmes, who nearly won it a season ago. Take Henrik Stenson, who seems to step up his game in these high-profile, short-field events.
BETTORS: Rory, at 8-to-1 odds, is the overall betting favorite at www.golfodds.com. But, he is coming off a missed cut and changing putting grips this week. Consider Bubba Watson (12-1). The length here will play into his game, which already landed him a victory at the Hero World Challenge in December and the Northern Trust Open last month. Justin Rose, at 25-1, is a bargain bet.
Other Golf News:
- Candie Kung leads the LPGA Tour’s HSBC Women’s Champions after shooting 5-under-67. Several players are still finishing up the opening round in Singapore.
- This week is the 17th edition of the World Golf Championship in Miami. Doral is hosting for the 10th
- Danny Willett, who was second in the Race to Dubai standings last year, will skip the Masters at Augusta as his wife is expecting their first child.
- This Masters is the 30th anniversary of the 1986 epic edition when Jack Nicklaus, at age 46, captured his final Green Jacket.